Last Saturday we talked about getting organized and the importance of doing so. This week I’m going to give you a few tips. Around here we have three adults and five kids so it can get pretty hectic. Here are some of the things that we have done to help calm the chaos
- Put bill due dates on the calendar
- Any activities go on the calendar…t-ball games, practices, dances, etc.
- Create a chore chart. This has been a life saver. Ours is on a whiteboard so it is easy to update as needed.
- Assign age appropriate chores.
- If you don’t like how a chore is being done, patiently teach them how to do it correctly. It can’t be done right if a child is not taught.
- Make sure that chores are done before television, but after homework.
- Have regular family meetings to discuss schedules, changes, etc.
- Have regular family outings, even if it’s just a trip to the park to picnic and play.
- Have one on one time with each child. This helps you and each child to be able to talk about things that they might need or just want to talk about but may not be able to otherwise. Even if all you do is go for a walk or to get a soda, spend the time.
- If things get out of hand, everyone, including the adults need to take a time out.
Hopefully there is something here that you can use.